Saturday, July 23, 2011

I Dream Of A Self-Cleaning House

Seriously. Or at least some completely awesome robot who can handle it all. There are Moms who manage to keep their houses spotless and sparkling. I'm not one of them. I don't know how they do it. In my house there are three children under the age of 5, a husband and a dog. My struggles are first of all finding the time in between cooking, changing diapers, nursing, breaking up fights etc to get something done. Usually I'll start something, and as soon as I start to make a dent, the baby cries, the dog needs to go out, my older kids turn my living room into a war zone complete with battle wounds, my husband yells "Hey, come here! Quick!" or a million other things.

When I do manage to get something cleaned, five minutes later it needs to be done again. I clean the bathroom, then someone who is still learning and doesn't always have the best aim uses it and it's dirty again. I mop the floor, and it never fails, someone spills something on it. Just when I think I'm getting caught up on laundry, I turn around and there's another load. As soon as I wash the dishes, someone wants to eat something. It's a never ending battle and it can get overwhelming.

Sometimes I stress about it, but I really try not to. If I were perfectly honest, sure I could do a better job. But that would mean letting the baby cry in her pack and play, missing out on cuddles and play time with my boys, missing out on time with my husband, and pretty much never getting any rest. Sorry, but I can't do that. I've come to the realization that I am not Superwoman and never will be. My house will never pass a white glove inspection, at least not while my kids are this young. And you know what? That's ok with me.

I want my kids to feel like they can play in their own home. I don't want them to grow up feeling like they live in a museum. I want them to enjoy their toys instead of being afraid to pull any out. I don't want them to have a mother who goes crazy at the sight of the tiniest crumb or smudge. I want to be the kind of mother who can let the laundry sit for a bit so I can go play cars with my boys. I want my kids to look back at their childhood and remember a Mom who took the time to have fun with them instead of chaining herself to a vacuum and a can of furniture polish. Let's be honest, kids don't care if there are spots on the mirror. They care about having a Mom who spends time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment